Your search for the best dandruff shampoo for kids just got easier with this guide we’ve put together. In here, we’ve reviewed five of the best shampoos that have been proven to be effective at eliminating dandruff without being too harsh on your baby’s scalp. Read on to discover which products made it to the list.
Dandruff Shampoo FAQ
Let’s first take a look at some of the frequently asked questions about dandruff shampoos for kids.
1. What Is a Dandruff Shampoo?
A dandruff shampoo is a formulation that helps treat problems like scalp dermatitis or a dry and itchy scalp, all of which may be cause by dandruff. The active ingredients in an anti-dandruff shampoo may include coal tar preparations, pyrithione zinc, salicylic acid, sulfur, selenium sulfide and ketoconazole.
2. What Are the Advantages of Using a Dandruff Shampoo?
An effective dandruff shampoo washes away dirt and grease, gets rid of flakes, treats irritation, dryness and itchiness, leaves hair feeling soft, and keeps it smelling great all day long.
3. How to Choose the Best Dandruff Shampoo for Kids?
Some of the important factors to consider before you buy the best dandruff shampoo for kids include the gentleness of the formulation, its effectiveness at getting rid of dandruff, and the pleasantness of the scent. You may also want to opt for all-natural and organic shampoos, as they’re generally softer on the skin.
4. Where Can You Buy the Best Dandruff Shampoo for Kids?
You can buy the best dandruff shampoo for kids from online marketplaces like Amazon, Walmart, Sephora, Target and Macy’s. Departmental stores and shops that sell healthcare and beauty products are also ideal outlets to purchase the best dandruff shampoo for kids in person.
How We Reviewed
We scoured through the Internet and identified the five best dandruff shampoos for kids, based on parameters like their effectiveness at eliminating dandruff, the side-effects, the mildness of the formulation, and the price. We then proceeded to create this list, wherein we’ve reviewed the five shampoos chosen, and explained various details like their key ingredients, their pros and cons, their price, and the ease of application. We’ve even arrived at a fair verdict to help you choose the best dandruff shampoo for kids.
Overall Price Range of the Best Dandruff Shampoo for Kids
The price of the best dandruff shampoo for kids typically ranges from around $10 for a 12-ounce bottle to around $40 for the same volume. The price is affected by factors like the quality of ingredients used, the nature of the formulation, the volume of the shampoo, the brand that manufactures the shampoo, and the availability of any discounts on the product.
What We Reviewed
- Jason Dandruff Relief Shampoo
- Sulfur 8 Kids Medicated Anti Dandruff Shampoo
- California Baby Tea Tree and Lavender Shampoo and Body Wash
- Christina Moss Naturals Organic Shampoo
- TruKid Silly Shampoo
Jason Dandruff Relief Shampoo
- Helps prevent seborrheic dermatitis
- Controls recurrence of flaking, scaling and itching associated with dandruff
- For best results, use at least three times each week. Wet hair and lather, massage onto scalp. Rinse and repeat if desired
With active ingredients like 2.2 percent salicylic acid (to control seborrheic dermatitis) and 2.4 percent sulfur (to control dandruff), this is the best dandruff shampoo for kids prone to suffering from flaky skin on the scalp. Other ingredients include jojoba, rosemary, and olive oils to relieve itchiness and moisturize the scalp.
- Controls scalp dermatitis and mild psoriasis
- Contains no parabens, phthalates or harsh sulfates
- Not tested on animals
- Doesn’t lather adequately
- Not easily available in-store
Ease of Application
This shampoo is quite easy to apply. You simply need to wet your hair and massage a quarter size dollop of the shampoo on your wet scalp. Rinse and repeat.
Sulfur 8 Kids Medicated Anti Dandruff Shampoo
- Shampoo cleans to reveal natural shine
- Rich lather soaks into your hair
- Use daily
With a formulation that includes 1 percent pyrithione zinc as the active ingredient, this is the best dandruff shampoo for kids who suffer from an itchy or flaky scalp. Other ingredients include citric acid and fragrance.
- Delivers results within a week or so
- Pleasant and delicious scent
- Lathers richly
- Contains SLS
- Formula may be harsh on sensitive scalps
Ease of Application
This shampoo can be used two to three times a week, and it’s quite easy to apply. You need to wet your hair, apply the shampoo, lather, rinse, and repeat.
California Baby Tea Tree and Lavender Shampoo and Body Wash
- Complete Hair and Body Wash - Made for babies with dry, sensitive skin, or allergies our 2-in-1 baby wash and shampoo cleans hair, face, body or sensitive areas.
- Plant - Based and with the light scent of tea tree & lavender essential oils - Perfect for a newborn's first bath, our sulfate-free, plant-based cleanser won't dry out or irritate skin to leave it soft, clean and radiant.
- Allergy-Tested - Gluten, soy, oat, dairy, and nut free (except coconut), our baby body wash and shampoo.
- Pure, Hydrating Support - Enriched with pure, organic calendula extract and Aloe Vera, our baby safe shampoo can help soothe and hydrate skin from head to toe.
- California Baby body wash and shampoo is free of harsh chemicals, irritants, or alcohol to ensure a safer, more effective skin-friendly cleanser.
Formulated using gentle and effective ingredients like wild harvested yucca, organic soapbark, organic tea tree and French lavender pure essential oils, this is perhaps the best dandruff shampoo for kids. It is also gluten-free, soy-free, oat-free, dairy-free and nut-free.
- Allergy-tested, tear-free, and non-irritating
- GMO-Free, Paraben-Free, Triclosan-Free, DEA-Free, sulfate-free
- Gentle on sensitive skin
- Scent may take a while to get used to
- Doesn’t lather well
Ease of Application
Applying this shampoo is a hassle-free process. Simply mix a little bit of it in your hands with some water and get it to lather up before using on your child’s hair. For a bit of extra cleansing, you can allow it to sit for 30 seconds before rinsing it off.
Christina Moss Naturals Organic Shampoo
- CRUELTY FREE - NO ANIMAL TESTING. VEGAN FORMULA: Environmentally friendly. Gently and thoroughly washes and nourishes without stripping, drying out or leaving build-up in your hair. Greatly improves condition of the hair and scalp. Safe for color treated hair. Produces a very full lather.
- FOR ALL HAIR TYPES. ESPECIALLY GREAT FOR ANYONE WITH SENSITIVE SKIN OR SCALP: NO harmful chemicals (no SLS, SLES, PG, PG derivatives, parabens, sulfates, dyes, synthetic fragrance or petrochemicals). Hypoallergenic. Baby safe too! Our shampoo does not contain toxic anesthetizing ingredients (tear duct numbing agents). Tip: Use a damp folded up wash cloth above baby's eyebrows to help keep suds out of eyes.
- MADE WITH ORGANIC & NATURAL INGREDIENTS: 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed. Our products are prepared on a regular basis to ensure they are at their optimum best when you receive them. We even go one step further and guarantee purity and freshness for 6 months after your purchase date. Should anything appear unsatisfactory to you within that time, simply return it for a replacement or full refund.
- FRESH, VIBRANT SKIN AND HEALTHY HAIR SAY A LOT ABOUT A PERSON: The question is, how do you maintain the freshness & vibrancy of youth, naturally? No one ever wanted to grow up and have invasive surgery, skin injections or laser treatments. It's expensive, scary, and it often looks artificial. Human skin is a living organ that absorbs into the bloodstream what is applied to it. The good news is you can, not only halt the damage, you can repair it, naturally. That's where our products come in.
- NO HARMFUL TOXIC CHEMICALS: Personal care items found on store shelves invariably contain harmful chemical preservatives and other seriously harmful ingredients. All of those commercial products have chemicals added. They have no choice because their products must support a shelf life of at least two years. This is also the case with products in health food stores. Ours don't. We mean it when we say that our products contain NO HARMFUL CHEMICALS.
Developed using a blend of rich ingredients like coconut oil, aloe vera, olive fruit oil and shea butter, this formula from Christina Moss Naturals is perhaps the best dandruff shampoo for kids and adults with sensitive scalps. The ingredients are all non-toxic, organic, and natural.
- Lathers exceptionally well
- Leaves hair soft and frizz-free
- Unscented product
- More expensive than most other options
- May dry out the hair when not used with the conditioner
Ease of Application
Applying this shampoo is quite simple and straightforward. Simply wet your hair and scalp, apply the shampoo, work it over your scalp and your hair strands from the root to the tip, and rinse off.
TruKid Silly Shampoo
- MILD AND SAFE CLEANSER, truly natural formula is gentle on hair, skin, and eyes, removes surface oil and dirt without stripping natural oils.
- NOURISHES AND PROTECTS HAIR with coconut, aloe vera, and other natural ingredients
- PROVIDES A DEEP CLEAN while moisturizing, keeping hair shiny and beautiful.
- SAFE FOR KIDS AND THE PLANET: pediatrician and dermatologist tested, eczema safe, phthalates, and paraben free
- BPA-FREE 8oz bottle with pump tops for easy dispensing. PETA Certified Animal Cruelty-Free. Made in the USA. Packaging May Vary.
Easily capable of being touted as the best dandruff shampoo for kids with flaky and itchy scalps, this formulation includes aloe vera leaf juice (to moisturize the scalp) and soy protein (which is a good emollient). The ingredients are all natural, and the shampoo is highly rated by the Environmental Working Group.
- PETA-certified, animal cruelty-free
- Tested by pediatricians and dermatologists, certified as eczema-safe
- Contains no parabens or phthalates
- Scent is refreshing and delicious
- Not suitable for people allergic to soy
Ease of Application
Lather up a nickel-sized bit of the shampoo in your hands and apply on wet hair. Massage gently into your scalp, rinse hair, and repeat. It really is that simple. Use with the TruKid conditioner and the detangler for better results.
Based on our assessment of the five options for the best dandruff shampoo for kids, the formulation from California Baby appears to be the most effective product for children suffering from dandruff. The ingredients are all carefully chosen, non-toxic, and particularly gentle on sensitive skin. The formulation is also reasonably priced, and you get great value for money. The only downside is that it doesn’t lather much, which is to be expected when you use an all-natural shampoo.
Alternatively, if you’d rather use a shampoo that lathers well, you could opt for the formulation from Christina Moss Naturals, which is the second-best option from among the five shampoos we’ve reviewed. It is, however, more expensive than the other shampoos.