They are part of your everyday life, but you don't notice them until they stop working. We are talking about AAA batteries. These electric cells power up many of our devices like tools, toys, remote controllers, and cameras. If you are looking for replacements, we compiled a list of the 10 best AAA batteries.
AAA Battery FAQ
What Is an AAA Battery?
An AAA battery—popularly known as triple-A battery—is a dry cell used in low-voltage, simple electronic devices like toys and tv remote controllers. The "AAA" denotes the standardized size. It measures 10.5 mm (0.41 in) in diameter and 44.5 mm (1.75 in) in length (from negative terminal to positive terminal).
The most common chemical make-up of AAA batteries are Lithium-Ion, Alkaline, and Zinc-Carbon.
Where Do You Use It?
Because of its tiny size, AAA batteries are often used in small electronics like TV remote controllers, digital cameras, remote controllers, and children's toys.
How Does It Work?
A standard AAA battery has a voltage capacity of 1.5V. Like most dry cell batteries, an AAA battery produces electricity via electro-chemical reaction. In the simplest terms, the chemicals inside the cell (zinc and manganese dioxide, for example) react to each other. This chemical reaction releases free electrons, which move as electricity from the negative terminal (anode) to the positive terminal (cathode).
Where Can You Buy It/Them?
AAA batteries are readily available in many stores: hobby stores, hardware stores, toy stores, electrical supplies store, and general supermarkets. You can also purchase them in bulk online from various online retailers like Amazon.
What Should I Consider when Buying the Best AAA Batteries?
Not all batteries are created equal. Remember that a battery is an electro-chemical hazard when not used properly, so always buy the brands known for quality. A good AAA battery can hold its charge for a long time, does not drain easily, and does not short circuit. Good AAA batteries also don't overheat, explode, or leak during or after use.
How Long Can an AAA Battery Keep Its Charge?
Even when not in use, dry cell batteries gradually lose their charge in what is known as "self-discharge." Some alkaline batteries keep their charge from 3 to 5 years, while brands like Duracell claim theirs last up to 10 years. If used continuously, an AAA battery can completely drain from 9 to 20 hours.
Can You Recharge an AAA Battery?
Yes, but only the specific batteries known as "rechargeable batteries." These batteries are often nickel-cadmium and lithium-ion types.
Can You Re-Use a Discharged AAA Battery?
No. Drained batteries still have small charges inside, so they are in danger of exploding or leaking. They are recyclable, but you will need specialized equipment to strip the reusable parts.
How We Reviewed
The best AAA batteries on our list we reviewed based on the following criteria: features, pros & cons, price, and performance. We also considered the environmental footprint of each brand.
Overall Price Range of This Product
(and Similar Products)
The prices of the best AAA batteries in our list range from
What We Reviewed
Here is the rundown of the best AAA batteries in our list.
- 1100mAh AAA rechargeable batteries providing a long use time and performance well.
- Low self-discharge batteries will remain 90% juice when you leaving it for no use 1 year
- Embedded seal structure, ultra slim and make more inner space, DBCK steel shell can protect the battery against explosion due to overpressure.
- Ni-MH high quality cell, no memory effect, can be charged and used at anytime.
- Biggest Save - Best product but lowest price and high efficient after sale service always here to help.
Every hobbyist knows the brand EBL. This company produces high-quality rechargeable batteries that are compatible with most recharging docks.
EBL Rechargeable batteries get their power from each 1100 mAh nickel-metal hydride (Ni-MH) cell. EBL claims its rechargeable batteries have a low drain capacity, citing it can keep 85% of its charge for one year when not in use. These batteries have a thick steel shell to protect against leaks and explosions.
A 4-pack set sells for about $.
- AAA Batteries, 36 Pack of High Energy Alkaline Batteries
- Ideal for High Use AAA Battery Devices - Toys, Flashlights, Smart Home & More
- Designed to Prevent Damaging Battery Leaks & Tested Twice Prior to Shipment
- Made in the USA with US & Global Parts - Proudly Produced in Fennimore, WI
- Rayovac AAA Batteries Hold Power Up to 10 Years in Storage
Rayovac is one of the leading battery brands nationwide, and consumers can attest to its performance and long shelf life. Rayovac guarantees long-lasting batteries that can hold power up to 10 years in storage. Proudly US-made, Rayovac also claims its batteries are safe from leaks and explosion.
Rayovac sells its alkaline batteries in bundles of 4, with the 36-pack being one of the most popular purchases.
An 8-pack sells for about $ while its popular 36-pack costs around $
- Our 1 Longest Lasting MAX AAA battery powers everyday devices
- Leak resistance construction protects your devices from leakage of fully used batteries for up to 2 years.
- Power for your nonstop familys must have devices like toys, flashlights, clocks, remotes, and more
- Holds power up to 10 years in storage so youre never left powerless
- From the makers of the 1 longest lasting AA battery (Energizer Ultimate Lithium), and the Energizer Bunny
If there is one brand synonymous with durable batteries, it is Energizer. This brand made its name for its long-lasting batteries that keep going, and going, and going (if we are to believe the ads).
Energizer MAX AAA batteries are durable in many aspects. An Energizer alkaline battery can hold its charge up to 10 years (no use) and it can last for hours of continuous use. It is also durable in terms of packaging seal that prevents leakage and explosion. It is environmentally friendly, being certified 100% free of mercury.
A pack of four can cost around $ on Amazon.
- 1 package of 4 AAA lithium batteries - the world's longest-lasting AAA battery in high-tech devices
- No weather worries! Superior performance in extreme temperatures from 33% lighter than alkaline batteries - ideal for travel, camping, hiking and use in high-drain game controllers, handheld electronics and power tools
- Holds power in storage for up to 20 years for trustworthy backup energy
- Lasts up to 9x longer in digital cameras than Energizer MAX batteries
- -40 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Great choice for outdoor activities in any season
If you want a more premium battery that can produce consistent power output with low discharge and long durability, then upgrade to Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA batteries.
These batteries are a favorite among serious hobbyists because of their durability and performance. It is an upgrade of Energizer's regular alkaline batteries, using Lithium power that can hold power up to 20 years. It can last up to 9x longer than the Energizer MAX.
These batteries are also ultra portable; they are 33% lighter than alkaline, making them ideal for camping, hiking, and travel. They are also weatherproof and can perform in any kind of climate.
A 4-pack on Amazon sells for around $.
- Get long lasting, reliable power for the devices your business uses most
- Guaranteed for 10 years (5 years for 9V) in storage with Duralock Power PreserveTM Technology
- Guaranteed to protect your device from damaging leaks; Should your device be damaged due to a battery defect, when used as directed, we will repair or replace your device
One brand that is giving Energizer a run for its money is Duracell. Its iconic "coppertop" is one of the best AAA batteries which can be found in many household devices.
Like the Energizer MAX, Duracell's Coppertop AAA are ideal for everyday use because of their consistent power output, slow discharge, and long shelf life. Duracell claims its Coppertop batteries can last up to 10 years, thanks to its Power Preserve Technology that prevents rapid power drain. Each shell is also leak- and explosion-proof.
A pack of four can cost around $ on Amazon.
- 4 Pack of Energizer Recharge Power Plus 800 mAh NiMH AAA Rechargeable Batteries, Pre Charged and Ready to Use
- The World's 1st rechargeable AA battery made with 4% recycled batteries
- Delivers long lasting power to frequently used devices, like digital cameras, gaming controllers, and toys
- Retains its charge in storage for up to 12 months so reliable, rechargeable power is always on hand
- Charges up to 700 times for an economical and responsible way to keep your battery powered devices working
If you like to keep your batteries down to a few trusted rechargeables, get the Energizer Rechargeable AAA batteries. These AAAs live up to the name of its brand's identity: durability.
An 800 mAh Ni-MH battery can hold a charge for up to 12 months. Its long-lasting power output ensures long use and can endure up to 700 times of recharging. They are certified earth-friendly as these are made with 4% recycled batteries.
For $ you can buy a pack of four batteries.
- ProCyco technology - extend lifespan up to 1200 cycles.
- High capacity - No longer to worry about the endurance of the batteries, EBL 1100mAh AAA 1.2V batteries will provide ultra strong power for your devices to performance well and operate longer.
- Supercell lattice - EBL batteries made in supercell lattice technology, make it more inner space to contain such high volume power juice, provide constant voltage and best performance in heavy load discharge.
- Low self-discharge - Embedded seal structure expand the space of crystal lattice, make more room for hydrogen, so EBL batteries will holds 80% power after 3 years benefit from its concentration to low self-discharge project.
- Safety assurance - Ni-MH friendly - envinronmental cell, doesn't contain Hg/Cd/Pb, makes no pollution to the environment, and using DBCK steel shell which can protect the battery against explosion due to overpressure.
EBl Rechargeable AAA batteries are popular among hobbyists and photographers because of their bang-for-the-buck value.
Thanks to its proprietary ProCyco technology, each battery can last up to 1200 cycles. Each cell packs a whopping 2800 mAh, which means it can last for hours before it needs recharging. Its Supercell Lattice technology ensures consistently high power discharge even during heavy loads. Best of all, each Ni-MH cell is certified environment-friendly.
For optimum performance and convenience, buy a 16-battery pack for around $$.
- Sold as "Pack of 4" i.e. 4 Batteries in a Pack
- Recharge up to 2100 times
- Maintain up to 70% of their charge after 10 years (when not it use)
- 800mAh type, 750mAh min, Ni-MH pre-charged rechargeable battery
- Pre-Charged at the factory using solar power and ready to use
Eneloop is a popular battery brand among hobbyists because its batteries can be charged up to 2100 times! Panasonic Eneloop claims each cell can keep 70% of its charge up to 10 years in the shelf.
Each battery comes pre-charged from eco-friendly factories. Eneloop claims its batteries have no "memory effect", which means they can be recharged even when partially discharged.
A pack of four can cost around $ in Amazon.
Ever wished you can charge a battery directly by plugging it to a micro-USB port? The Smartoools claims to be the first ever AAA battery that can be recharged individually using micro-USB plugs. On its side is a port where you plug in a micro-USB plug. If you want to be able to charge your batteries easily, these may be the best AAA batteries for you.
A 4-battery set costs around $ on Amazon.
There you have it, the 10 best AAA batteries we highly recommend for everyday use. We don't have a particular favorite, so buy whichever brand you prefer. If you want to know how to dispose batteries after use you can read our guide.